Checkers Rules are rules of board game also famously known as Draughts. We have shared here the rules and methods to play Checkers. Checkers and all other draught are commonly played by pieces being jumped over by other player’s pieces. Well, if you are confused between Chinese Checkers and Checkers, be sure that both are different games. Our rules shared here are written based on rules of most popular forms of English draughts known as Checkers in United States.After playing this game,we realise that the game has an interesting history behind it.
Checkers is played by two players involving diagonal moves of game pieces. Crux lies in capturing by jumping over opponent pieces. The game is being played in social circles and among kids since 12th century with different variations in US, UK, Canada and other countries. It is played by two players, each player owning 12 discs. Each set of pieces or discs are of different color; typically red and black. Check out in details the equipment and rules of Checkers. Know all the checkers rules and run how to play checkers from the below guide.
How To Play Checkers?
Let’s give us a step by step guide on how to play checkers board game easily. The game is played with a board and two sets of discs or pieces.
Equipment for Checkers
- A board with 64 squares – 32 dark squares and 32 light squares.
- 24 pieces with set of 12 pieces of different colours. Pieces are flat and round similar to pieces of Carom’s.
Some players also use the board of Chess to play Checkers.
Rules for Checkers
See the Checkers rules to follow while you play the game.
- Each player places his/her set of pieces on the closest 12 dark squares.
- Player with black set of pieces moves first.
- Moves are to be made only on the dark squares diagonally.
- As per Checkers Rules, pieces are allowed to move forward one step towards the opponent.
- If a piece is making a capturing move i.e. jumping over the opponent’s piece can move further by more than one square.
- Whenever a piece is jumped over by the opponent piece, it is removed from the board.
- Whenever capture or leaping over is available, jump should be made. Player can choose on any move when more than one leaping overs are possible.
- When any piece is reaches and gets place at the furthest row from the controlling player, the piece is crowned as King. Uncrowned pieces are called Men. The King is made to seem high by placing the removed piece over it.
- Kings can move only diagonally but allowed to move forward as well as backwards.
- The Men (non Kings) are allowed to move only forward toward the opponent.
Have you understood checkers rules? Let’s check some of the winning combination required in order to win this board game. Meanwhile, you can check few more interesting games.
Checkers Rules– Winning Combination
The game of Checkers is won either by capturing all the opponent pieces or by blocking all the opponent pieces. Find below the Checkers rules for winning and draw.
- The first player who losses all his pieces by the opponent loses the game.
- When a player is unable to make move due to all his pieces blocked and has no place to move forward, he loses the game.
- If both the players are having same number of pieces, the player with most number of kings wins the game.
- If both the players have same number of pieces as well same number of kings, the game goes draw.
The Checkers board game involves mix of chance and pure strategy which makes it one of the most exciting board games. Since Checkers is one of the favorite table top board games played with friends at social gatherings, we have shared the Checkers Rules. You can know rules of other interesting board games like Chess and Monopoly at cardgamerules.net. Rules of all card games you would love to play with your friends in your leisure hours are also posted at our site including Cribbage, Canasta and Phase 10. Keep visiting us and share our game rules with your friends.